Slow-Cooker Sweet Potatoes with Bacon
4 pounds slender sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch thick slices
1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
4 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
1. Place sweet potatoes in a 5 to 6 qt. slow cooker. Stir together orange juice concentrate and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over sweet potatoes, tossing to coat.
2. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 1/2 to 6 hours or until potatoes are tender.
3. Transfer potatoes to a serving dish, using a slotted spoon. Increase slow cooker to HIGH. Whisk together cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. cold water until smooth. Whisk cornstarch mixture into cooking liquid in slow cooker. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Spoon sauce over potatoes.
4. Stir together parsley, orange zest, and garlic. Sprinkle potatoes with parsley mixture and crumbled bacon.
This sweet and salty side could not be easier to prep on Thanksgiving morning. Best part? It's made in the slow cooker, so you're saving valuable stove top space.
12 servings; 227 calories per serving
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
3 medium apples-peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9 inch
2.In a large bowl, beat together the melted butter, sugar, and egg until
fluffy. Fold in the apples and walnuts. In a separate bowl, sift together
the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir the flour
mixture into the wet mixture until just blended. Spread the batter evenly
in the prepared baking dish.
3.Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in
the center comes out clean.
CAPRESE CHICKEN RECIPE
"Caprese" refers to something that comes from or is in the style of Capri, an Italian island off the coast near Naples, prepared with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil leaves and drizzled with olive oil
4 skinless chicken breasts kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
10 large basil leaves, finely chopped
8 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella, sliced in 1/2 inch thick slices or shredded mozzarella balsamic vinegar, to taste
1. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts and set aside.
2. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken, cover pan, and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked thoroughly (or has reached an internal temp of 165°F).
3. While chicken is cooking, in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and continue sautéing until tomatoes skin starts to soften/wrinkle, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Set aside.
4. Once chicken has reached desired doneness, top the tops of each chicken breast with 2 slices of mozzarella. Pour tomato mixture on top. Cover pan with lid once more and let the mozzarella melt, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Lastly, drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar and serve immediately!
Comments on this dish:
I MADE THIS AND MY HUSBAND SAYS: "IT’S A DO OVER!" very good!